In April we commented on the allegations that a Metropolitan police officer had assaulted a black youth in police custody at the height of the London riots.
We are pleased to see in the news today that the PC, Joe Harrington, will now face charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm (ABH), believing that this decision is long overdue.
In the original investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) did not bring any charges.
Swain & Co.’s specialist actions against the police solicitors say that this decision was wrong and welcome the CPS’ move to rectify this error and bring charges against the PC. Use of excessive force against a 15-year-old who was handcuffed in custody is a serious matter.
Here at Swain & Co. we specialise in bringing cases against the police, and also assist if you have suffered harm from others including prison officers, court security staff or security firms employed by shops (e.g. for unlawful arrest , assault and/or false imprisonment). We also have a specialist personal injury team.
We regularly advise in connection with claims against the police for unlawful arrest and false imprisonment but we can also help with other actions against the police including:-
- Assault and battery
- Malicious prosecution (when the police maliciously and unreasonably bring criminal proceedings resulting in damage to reputation, person, freedom or property)
- Malicious process (e.g. malicious applications for arrest warrants or search warrants)
- Misfeasance in public office ( malicious conduct with the intention of causing damage whilst acting beyond his/her official power)
- Trespass to goods or property
- Wrongful conviction
- Death in custody
- Breach of Human Rights
- We act under legal aid and no win no fee arrangements
Call Vicki Wright now on 02392 479290.
You should act swiftly as time limits apply.