Two landlords from Sheffield have been prosecuted after dangerous defects were found on every gas appliance at a house they rented to a young woman put the tenant’s life at risk.
The defects were only discovered after a council housing officer visited the property and noticed that the gas fire’s flame was burning yellow.
A Gas Safe Register Investigator was called in and found that there were serious faults with appliances and fittings throughout the property. He decommissioned the boiler, cooker and gas fires in the lounge and dining area after he classified them as ‘immediately dangerous’. He also found evidence of carbon monoxide fumes.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated and found that the appliances and flues had not been checked annually by a registered gas engineer; they had not maintained the appliances in a safe condition as required by law; and the tenant have never been given a copy of the gas safety record.
Swain & Co.’s personal injury solicitors say that this case was shocking; the landlords had put their tenant’s life at risk either because they did not think the checks were important or they thought they could save themselves some money.
Our housing solicitors go on to explain that these checks are a legal requirement and are in place to save lives. Landlords must comply to the law and ensure that gas appliances are checked annually using a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Both landlords, who were husband and wife, were handed suspended jail sentences and orders to undertake community service.
If you have been injured as a result of someone else’s actions or failure to act then you could be entitled to compensation. Our specialist personal injury lawyers can help and act for clients nationwide from our offices in Havant/Portsmouth, Southampton, London and Liverpool.
Call us for free on 0800 0351 999