0800 0351 999

0239 2483 322

Compass House,
57 Meridian Centre,
North Street,

Expert Services
Expert Services
A quality personalised service from a law firm based in Portsmouth/Havant, Southampton and Liverpool. We can help you. We will provide free first advice. Our lawyers are specialists in their areas of work.
Our Team
Our Team
We have specialist lawyers, many of whom are recognised as leaders in their respective fields and also share our unique focus on quality service and putting our clients first. Click here to find out more about our legal experts.
Fees & Figures
Fees & Figures
We provide a number of payment options: No Win No Fee, Legal Aid, Monthly payments, Fixed fee payment and other options. Here you can learn more about our payment options.

Divorce: What will happen to The Family Home?

Divorce: What will happen to The Family Home?

One of the most frequently asked questions in divorce is ‘what will happen to our family home’?

Robyn Finnegan, family and divorce solicitor at Swain & Co answers:

“One common outcome is for the family home to be sold”

Once any associated costs such as estate agents, mortgage repayments and solicitor fees are paid, the sale proceeds are divided between you and your ex.

The starting point is often to split the sale proceeds 50/50.

But arguments can be made to have a larger portion in certain circumstances. This includes things such as if the children will live with one parent or if a large deposit was contributed by one party.

There are however other options available that can be agreed between you or ordered by the Court.

If you have children, you may wish to consider a Mesher order.

This delays any sale of the home and gives a charge back to the other party until a certain event such as your youngest child reaching 18 or finishing their education.

It is nonetheless important to consider how the upkeep of the home will be continued to be paid until this point. And what will happen when the property is eventually sold.

Offsetting ?

Several other options are also available such as offsetting the property. This means you or your ex keeps other matrimonial assets such as savings or pensions and transfers their interest in your home to the other.”

Divorce is an emotionally traumatic event in the life of you and your family.

Speaking to a divorce lawyer about your options regarding your family home can prove invaluable.

If you would like to discuss this in more details, do not hesitate to contact one of our family solicitors for a free initial telephone consultation.

Call us on 02392 483322


Fill in our enquiry form and we will contact you back.

Initial Free advice

Your Divorce Your Way

Purely for Individuals

Experienced Lawyers 

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 0351 999

OR we can call you back at a time of your choice

Request a call back

Area of Law

Preferred call time

May we add you to our newsletter please?

The data you submit will only be used by Swain & Co Solicitors. Please visit our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy for more information.

Mon to Fri: 9.00am - 5.30pm

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply