0800 0351 999

0239 2483 322

Compass House,
57 Meridian Centre,
North Street,

Expert Services
Expert Services
A quality personalised service from a law firm based in Portsmouth/Havant, Southampton and Liverpool. We can help you. We will provide free first advice. Our lawyers are specialists in their areas of work.
Our Team
Our Team
We have specialist lawyers, many of whom are recognised as leaders in their respective fields and also share our unique focus on quality service and putting our clients first. Click here to find out more about our legal experts.
Fees & Figures
Fees & Figures
We provide a number of payment options: No Win No Fee, Legal Aid, Monthly payments, Fixed fee payment and other options. Here you can learn more about our payment options.

2 Things to consider taking children abroad post separation

2 Things to consider taking children abroad post separation 

If you are planning to take your children abroad this summer without the child’s other parent, you should be aware of any potential problems.

  1. 1.       Consent

Everyone with parental responsibility must be aware and give consent to the child travelling abroad.

If you do not do this, you could find yourself facing child abduction.

Parental responsibility is automatically given to a mother and will be given to a father if named on your child’s birth certificate (if your child was born after 1 December 2003).

We advise that you travel with written consent so you can produce it if needed.

What if my ex partner refuses to give consent for holiday?

If the other parent refuses to provide consent, we can assist with an application to the Court.

The only exception is if you have a Child Arrangements Order in place confirming that the child lives with you, you can take the child on holiday for up to 28 days without permission, unless the Court Order states otherwise.

  1. 2.       Different surnames may cause problems

Parents travelling abroad with children who do not share the same surname as them may be asked to produce additional evidence.

Whilst not having the same surname as your child is not unusual, if the parent with the same surname is not present, it may mean extra checks.  You may need to provide additional evidence at security that you are the child’s parent.

Travel with these important documents

We recommend you travel with your child’s birth certificate to show you are their parent and any marriage/divorce certificates etc if your name has changed since their birth.

If you are concerned about your travel plans or any matter regarding your children, please contact our family law team who will be pleased to assist.

Initial Free advice

Legal Aid is Available*

Purely for Individuals

Experienced Lawyers 

Call us for free initial consultation

0800 0351 999

OR we can call you back at a time of your choice

Request a call back

Area of Law

Preferred call time

May we add you to our newsletter please?

The data you submit will only be used by Swain & Co Solicitors. Please visit our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy for more information.

Mon to Fri: 9.00am - 5.30pm

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.