0800 0351 999

0239 2483 322

Compass House,
57 Meridian Centre,
North Street,

Expert Services
Expert Services
A quality personalised service from a law firm based in Portsmouth/Havant, Southampton and Liverpool. We can help you. We will provide free first advice. Our lawyers are specialists in their areas of work.
Our Team
Our Team
We have specialist lawyers, many of whom are recognised as leaders in their respective fields and also share our unique focus on quality service and putting our clients first. Click here to find out more about our legal experts.
Fees & Figures
Fees & Figures
We provide a number of payment options: No Win No Fee, Legal Aid, Monthly payments, Fixed fee payment and other options. Here you can learn more about our payment options.

How to get your rent deposit back at end of tenancy

How to get your rent deposit back at end of tenancy?

At the end of your tenancy, you need to ask for your deposit back.

How to ask for your rent deposit back?

If you used a letting agency to rent the property, it is them you need to ask.

If you deal directly with the landlord, you need to contact them directly.

The best way is in writing. Either write a letter or send an email. This is your record of when and how you asked for your rent deposit to be returned.

Leave the property in same condition you moved into

To have the best chance of getting your deposit returned, you should leave the property in the same condition you moved into.

You SHOULD also photograph the property when leaving. This will protect you if a disagreement arises with your landlord.

If you can:

  1. Photograph the property just before you hand keys back
  2. Create an inventory of the property on leaving. Get your landlord or letting agency to sign it. This will include information like the condition of walls and carpets.

‘My landlord won’t give me all my deposit back’

Your landlord may not return all your deposit. And, there may be valid reasons as to why.

If you owe rent …
If you damage walls, carpets or any fittings …
If you lose or break any items on the moving in inventory …

Your landlord may deduct money from your deposit.

What your landlord cannot charge you for?

Landlords can only take money from your rent deposit for rent arrears and repairs.

They cannot take money for redecoration from general wear and tear. This includes wear on furniture or paintwork from general living.

Did you local council pay the deposit? 

If the council paid you rent deposit or guaranteed it in a bond scheme, you will not get any money back.

But, if your landlord takes money off for damages or rent arrears, then you will end up having to pay back the council.

‘I don’t agree with my landlord’s deposit reduction’

You can challenge you landlord on not returning part or any of your deposit.

You are entitled to know why they have deducted money or not returned your deposit. If they haven’t provided these reasons in writing, ask them to do so.

Ask for details. If they say they have taken money out for decorating, ask for more details of why the decoration was needed and ask to see the quotes/invoices from the decorator.

You can challenge your landlord if you disagree with his reasoning.

You can benefit from free initial advice from Swain & Co Solicitors specialist Housing Law advisors. We will listen and advise if there is a challenge to be made.

Drop us an email or call us on 02392 483322 today if you have questions regarding rent deposit returns and deductions. The sooner you get advice, the quicker we can help resolve challenges.

Initial Free advice

Legal Aid is Available

Purely for Individuals

Experienced Lawyers 

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 0351 999

OR we can call you back at a time of your choice

Request a call back

Area of Law

Preferred call time

May we add you to our newsletter please?

The data you submit will only be used by Swain & Co Solicitors. Please visit our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy for more information.

Mon to Fri: 9.00am - 5.30pm

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply