Widow passes away after washing husband’s clothes that were covered in asbestos dust.
Grieving relatives are now pursuing a claim for damages arising from a deceased widow’s mesothelioma which is thought to have been caused from washing her dock worker husband’s overalls every night for around 12 years.
The woman’s husband worked in the North Liverpool docks for more than a decade and was exposed to asbestos on a regular basis. The relatives recall that the man would come back from work covered in dust. They also recall that his wife would shake the overalls free of dust every day before she put them in the wash.
The man worked in the North Liverpool docks for Ocean Port Services and then for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board (MDHB). Now lawyers for the widow’s family are seeking assistance from those who may have worked with her husband whilst they can and could provide evidence of him being exposed to asbestos. It is thought that her husband had been handling sacks of asbestos that were being imported into the docks and/or was working in the holds of the ships where asbestos had been transported.
The devastated family advised “in her final months she deteriorated rapidly and had to rely on a significant amount of care and assistance from others… [They] were a couple that were devoted to each other during their marriage. She would have washed… dirty overalls every week when he worked on the docks. That was always her job and always her routine.”
Mesothelioma is a very aggressive form of cancer which most commonly affects the pleura but can also affect peritoneum. The Latency period (time before onset of symptoms) is thought to be around 40 years but can be longer or shorter. In the later years of the latency period, the victim will have the tumour growing inside them but will be unaware of its presence. Once diagnosed the victim will have median survival time of 9-12 months.
“It was well known that asbestos was imported into many of the docks in this country and was also used on board ships due to its hard wearing and heat resistant properties. Due to the nature of the environment in which these Dockers worked, there was often little ventilation available and they would return home covered in dust, much of which would have been asbestos dust. Unbeknownst to them, not only were they put in danger whilst working but they also put their family’s lives in danger by returning home in overalls covered in asbestos dust.”
Johnathan Steventon-Kiy and the Industrial Disease team at Swain & Co Solicitors regularly win compensation for their clients who suffer from industrial diseases, including asbestos related illnesses. If you, a family member or a friend suffer from an industrial disease contact our team today on 02392 483 322.