CALL US:

0800 0351 999

0239 2483 322

Compass House,
57 Meridian Centre,
North Street,
Havant,
PO9 1UW

e-mail: mail@swainandco.com
Expert Services
Expert Services
A quality personalised service from a law firm based in Portsmouth/Havant, Southampton and Liverpool. We can help you. We will provide free first advice. Our lawyers are specialists in their areas of work.
Our Team
Our Team
We have specialist lawyers, many of whom are recognised as leaders in their respective fields and also share our unique focus on quality service and putting our clients first. Click here to find out more about our legal experts.
Fees & Figures
Fees & Figures
We provide a number of payment options: No Win No Fee, Legal Aid, Monthly payments, Fixed fee payment and other options. Here you can learn more about our payment options.

Local authority fails to arrange tenants annual gas safety checks

The London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham has been prosecuted for failing to arrange tenants annual safety checks on gas appliances.

Swain & Co.’s specialist housing solicitors says that the local authority as a landlord is required by law to arrange checks to arrange annual checks by Gas Safe registered engineers and to maintain gas safety records for all their properties that they provide in a their capacity as a landlord.

After a tenant at Stewarts Lodge, a multi-occupancy emergency hostel, complained that a gas safety certificate was not available, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated. They found that the gas safety record for the property, which had several gas cookers, expired 15 months previously.

HSE then asked the local authority to provide a ‘lapse table’ for other properties where annual checks had slipped and were given a list of 297 of these. 20 were subsequently investigated and found to all have gas cookers and boilers that required 12 monthly safety checks.

Our personal injury lawyers say that carbon monoxide can kill quickly and without warning. Approximately 20 people a year die from carbon monoxide poisoning from gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or are poorly ventilated.

As a landlord the local authority is responsible for the safety of all tenants in relation to gas safety. Failing to do this, they could have potentially exposed tenants to additional potential risks of carbon monoxide poisoning.

For specialist advice on all housing or landlord and tenant matters, contact us on 02392 483322.

If you have been injured as a result of someone else’s actions or failure to act then you could be entitled to compensation. Our specialist personal injury lawyers can help and act for clients nationwide from our offices in Havant/Portsmouth, Southampton, London and Liverpool.

Call us for free on 0800 0351 999

 

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.