If you suffer an illness that requires treatment, your GP will often be the first health professional you see. GP negligence claims can arise in areas including the following:
- Failure to refer to a specialist
- Failure to fully investigate symptoms
- Failure to act on test results
- Inappropriate prescribing of drugs over a long period
- Poor record keeping
- Failing to appreciate the seriousness of a condition
- Lack of follow up
Visiting your general practitioner is often the first step regarding any health concerns or issues. GPs are trained in a broad range of areas and often deal with social and family issues rather than just medical matters. Clinical negligence claims can arise from the treatment received by general practitioners and claims often arise from a failure to carry out basic examinations, tests or follow ups properly, rather than from specialist matters due to their broad range of knowledge.
Common examples of GP negligence claims with catastrophic consequences can include:
- Delays in treatment of meningitis leading to brain damage
- Failure to refer patients with cancer symptoms
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Hypoglycaemia, low blood sugar levels which can lead to brain damage if not treated appropriately
- Asthma attacks which can have fatal consequences if not properly managed/treated
Some of our cases:
- Our client contacted us following the death of her husband. He died following a delay in diagnosing throat cancer. His GP failed to follow National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) Guidance despite our client's husband meeting the criteria for throat cancer on a number of GP appointments. He required an urgent referral to hospital. Sadly, her husband passed away after a difficult battle with the disease
- Our client, who has since passed away, contacted us when she was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. Diagnosis should have happended many months earlier
“If you think you may have a clinical negligence claim contact our team at Swain & Co Solicitors for expert advice.”
Our expert team of medical negligence lawyers have many years of experience representing clients in complex GP negligence claims.
We act purely for individuals. This enables us to focus on you.
Clients truly value the time we take to listen to what happened and how it is affecting them, their life and their family.
Free initial consultations are available and we act on a No Win No Fee basis.