0800 0351 999

0239 2483 322

Compass House,
57 Meridian Centre,
North Street,

Expert Services
Expert Services
A quality personalised service from a law firm based in Portsmouth/Havant, Southampton and Liverpool. We can help you. We will provide free first advice. Our lawyers are specialists in their areas of work.
Our Team
Our Team
We have specialist lawyers, many of whom are recognised as leaders in their respective fields and also share our unique focus on quality service and putting our clients first. Click here to find out more about our legal experts.
Fees & Figures
Fees & Figures
We provide a number of payment options: No Win No Fee, Legal Aid, Monthly payments, Fixed fee payment and other options. Here you can learn more about our payment options.

Accidents involving Children

Accidents involving Children

Specialist Areas

Click the links below to find out more…

Get the compensation you deserve | No Win, No Fee specialists | No hidden costs | Personal Injury legal experts

If a child suffers injury as a result of an accident, they are entitled to make a claim in exactly the same way as an adult is. However, as a child is regarded as not being able to provide instructions and to make decisions that are necessarily in his/her best interests, a litigation friend is appointed to act on the child’s behalf. Anybody who is under the age of 18 years is regarded in law as being a child.

Kimmo Boote | Clinical Negligence/Personal Injury Lawyer | Swain & Co Solicitors

“The litigation friend is usually, but does not have to be, the child’s mother or father.”

Kimmo Boote, Personal Injury/Clinical Negligence Chartered Legal Executive

It is important, however, to make sure there is no conflict of interest between the child and the person who is acting as the litigation friend. For example, if a child is a passenger in a vehicle being driven by the mother, it would be appropriate for the father to be the litigation friend and not his mother as there is a possibility that she may become a defendant in the proceedings.

The claim itself proceeds in the same way whether the claimant is a child or adult. All settlements involving a child, however, have to have the court’s approval. This is known as the “Infant Settlement Hearing”. This is so that the court can be satisfied that all parties have acted in the child’s best interests and that in all the circumstances, the best settlement has been reached. The court hearing is very informal and usually involves the child, litigation friend and legal representative having to attend. As the settlement has already been negotiated, the defendant does not attend.

The court will also make an order at the Infant Settlement Hearing for the compensation to be invested in a designated savings account by the Court Funds Office. The award is then invested until the child reaches 18 years of age and at that point, a request is made for the funds to be released. At the same time, the court will usually agree that any financial loss incurred by the litigation friend can be released immediately.

At the Infant Settlement Hearing, it is possible to invite the court to release funds to the child immediately. The court will, however, only consider such requests if the monies are to be put towards something, e.g. education, for the benefit of the child. The court would be reluctant to release monies for the provision of clothes or toys. It is also possible to make an application to the court at any stage up until the child’s 18th birthday. Again, the court will only be interested in releasing funds if it is for the direct benefit of the child.

The three year limitation period also applies to children but instead of commencing on the date of the accident, the three year period commences on the child’s 18th birthday which means that the child has until his/her 21st birthday to issue proceedings.

Legal aid is not available for these types of claim and we therefore offer assistance under a No Win No Fee Agreement. For free legal advice, contact our specialist Personal Injury team on 023 92 483322 (Havant) or on 023 80 631111 (Southampton). Alternatively, complete the response e-mail slip.

Contact us today for a free initial consultation

We have offices in Havant/Portsmouth, Southampton and Liverpool.

Call our Havant office: 023 92 483322
Call our Southampton office: 023 80 631111
Call our Liverpool office: 015 12 945000

Fax us: 023 92 483366

Specialist Staff

Personal Injury